Monday, July 25, 2011

John Carter trailer

The trailer for John Carter has dropped and I'm torn on it. Part of me loves it, and part of me is extremely wary of the potential for cheese. The worrisome part to me is that the trailer just looks a bit over polished (not that anything Disney makes ever doesn't), but it has something just a bit dangerously "pretty" about it. While that may just be Taylor Kitsch, it makes me nervous. The good part though is the sword and sandal stuff. I like how the story mixes the old west with sci fi. I've heard that in the book John Carter is a Civil War veteran and I can't tell if that's been kept for this film but the juxtaposition in the trailer between Earth and Mars is pretty cool regardless. Check out the trailer and see what I mean.



It's like a mix between Prince of Persia with He-Man, and a dash of Avatar meets the old west. Definitely a combination I haven't seen on film before. Despite it being a bit too... Disney I have to admit I really love the song being played, and the voice over by Willem Dafoe at the end is great. Really anything read by Willem Dafoe would be great. For ow, I'll definitely say I'm interested.

For those who are interested the song played is a Peter Gabriel cover of an Arcade Fire song "My Body is a Cage", and the novel on which this first John Carter movie is based on A Princess of Mars is available on Project Gutenberg. One of these days I'll get around to reading it myself :)
-

No comments: