Friday, September 23, 2011

New TV Roundup - 2 Broke Girls

Yet another sitcom this time around from CBS, 2 Broke Girls follows two waitresses working at a diner in Brooklyn. The two are definitely an odd couple with Max, played by Kat Dennings, as a working class, sassy, and somewhat bitter girl, played against Caroline, portrayed by Beth Behrs, as a fallen debutante, once rich, fish out of water, Paris Hilton type of character. The two are of course oil and water, but somehow begrudgingly learn to like each other and by the end of the pilot are roommates and working to open a cupcake shop together.



Well if you've watched the trailer above, then you've seen everything in the pilot worth seeing. Strike that, I'm not sure it was worth seeing at all. I just can't get myself too excited about this show. Admittedly Kat Dennings is pretty charming, and really beautiful, but the most important thing about a comedy, it has to make you laugh and this pilot just didn't. I think I smiled at maybe three jokes the entire episode, and that's a very bad ratio of laugh to joke for a show like this. There is also an incessant laugh track reminding you of when you're supposed to think somethings funny; I'm just sorry to say it wasn't.

Maybe the show will get better, maybe the writing will get stronger as it goes on, but I'm not optimistic. I think the ratings we're pretty solid for the pilot so I'd guess it'll be around for a while, and I might give it another chance or two but 2 Broke Girls better get a lot funnier quickly or I'm leaving.

The show airs Mondays at 8:30pm on CBS, but you can catch episodes now on the CBS website.
-

No comments: