Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar Winners '07

As if you didn't know, The Oscar's we're last night and I personally thought it was a very good show. I had a successful Oscar party with lots of good people, good food, and fun. Really thats the best way to watch any of these kinds of event shows, alongside good friends. The show itself was pretty decent in my opinion, nothing was super shocking or went over the top, but I personally like it more for the films themselves than any potential spectacle. And even though I know some people will disagree with me, I really enjoyed Ellen DeGeneres as host. I thought she did a pretty good job of creating a tone with her family friendly mildly deprecating humor. No it wasn't as charged a show as other years, but like the fashions in general being a bit muted, I think that at this year's Oscars people didn't want to be as divisive as years past.

As for the films themselves, well I spent the last few weeks really trying to catch up on all the ones I hadn't seen. It's been some great film watching, but I still have a couple of big ones left. It seems like especially this year with all these smaller and limited release films being nominated that catching up on them all is a bit tougher. I did however manage to see the BIG winner last night, The Departed, and I personally really liked it a lot. In terms of best film... well, I suppose with the ones nominated it had to be between that and Babel, and yeah Departed does really deserves some accolades. For you're convenience here's a list of the winners:


Best Picture - The Departed
Directing - Martin Scorsese (The Departed)
Actor - Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
Actress - Helen Mirren (The Queen)
Supporting Actor - Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine)
Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Animated - Happy Feet
Art Direction - Pan's Labyrinth
Cinematography - Pan's Labyrinth
Costume - Marie Antoinette
Documentary - An Inconvenient Truth
Documentary Short - The Blood of Yingzhou District
Editing - The Departed
Foreign - The Lives of Others
Make-up - Pan's Labyrinth
Music (score) - Babel
Music (Song) - An Inconvenient Truth
Animated Short - The Danish Poet
Live Short - West Bank Story
Sound Editing - Letters From Iwo Jima
Sound Mixing - Dreamgirls
Visual Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Adapted Screenplay - The Departed
Original Screenplay - Little Miss Sunshine

There were only a few unexpected upsets last night. Alan Arkin winning Best Supporting Actor over Eddie Murphy, Happy Feet over Cars, and Melissa Etheridge with her Inconvenient Truth song over any of the three Dreamgirls ones. I'm personally disappointed that Jennifer Hudson won Best Supporting Actress, but I suppose that's just life... On the other hand, I was pretty happy to see Pan's Labyrinth do so well. Overall, based on my predictions I only got 9 out of 24 correct. Not so great :( On my ballot at the party last night I managed to get 13 right, but I still lost the pool. Ah well, next year might be better for me. How did you guys do? did you have good Oscar fun last night? or did you not even care?

Hope Monday morning is going well for you regardless. Lates.

1 comment:

waveman said...

awesome party! I'm just bummed I did so poorly on the ballot with only 10 correct guesses. Ah well, at least
"The Lives of Others" won the foreign language film - highly recommended!