Tuesday, February 27, 2007

some fantastic four 2 rambles

The new issue of Empire magazine has a good article on the kids from Weta and the work they did on the surfer for The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Unfortunately it's not available online, or at least as far as I can tell, but still if you're interested I'd recommend going out and reading through it at your local newsstand. Other than that check out this nifty new teaser poster for the film that was just revealed this weekend at New York Comic-con. Pretty sweet eh?

Are you guys stoked about this film? I'm not a huge fan of the first FF movie, but I don't know if I've mentioned this before here, but alongside Spider-Man, the Silver Surfer was always my favorite comic book character. He's got a great simple design, and an excellent backstory. Sometimes people complain that he's too cerebral, and not action orientated enough for mass appeal. He also, at least in the comics, spent a lot of time brooding... but wouldn't you brood if you one day woke up to realize that you'd been responsible for the deaths of more than a few entire civilizations, and were despised throughout the galaxy? Sounds kinda depressing to me.


We'll see how it all plays out in the movie. I'm sure they've changed things around a bit, but I know they are hoping the Surfer is popular as Avi Arad has said in the past that if FF2 is successful. they would like to spin him off into his own film (possibly an origin story). exciting! Anyhow, the real question isn't really about how cool the surfer will be, I have faith that he will be sufficiently badass, the real question is what exactly will Galactus look like? I suspect rather than a giant guy in a purple suit they'll go for something more akin to what they did in the recent Ultimate Galactus storyline, where Galactus was portrayed as a free consciousness manifested through a series of nearly indestructible swarm-like robots that destroy planets for sustenance.

Anywhichway, I'm getting excited. The film hits theaters June 15th, and expect marketing to kick into high gear around the time Spidey 3 is released in early May. Until then check out this cool Flickr site with all sorts of FF2 related photos, oh and watch this awesome new tv spot for the film...




No comments: