Thursday, September 06, 2007

What a show...

On Tuesday night I went and saw The Brian Jonestown Massacre at The Independent here in the city. I wasn't very familiar with their stuff before but I have to say I was both impressed and a bit scared. The music, when they actually played was fantastic. But these guys were on stage for probably 3 hours solid and only made it through 10 - 15 songs total. Every song, I mean like EVERY single song must've had a 10 minute bridge in the middle of it. And on top of that the lead singer and backbone of the group Anton Newcombe would regularly stop the songs midway through, like literally force everyone to stop playing, just so that he could yell at member of the audience or his bandmates. It was such an odd experience. Definitely one of the weirdest shows I've been to, but also really good. Their music has a lot of heart, and you can feel the Rolling Stones influence. Check out this sweet performance of Nevertheless...



The reason I went to see them, and really how I heard of them is through my friend Chris, who considers them, alongside BJMs arch-rivals The Dandy Warhols to be one of his favorite bands. He told me about this documentary called DIG! which chronicles something of the rivalry between the two bands, and it sounds just fascinating. Chris called it the best rock documentary he's ever seen. Check out the trailer below.


No comments: