Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Another action packed weekend


Hey all, I know its been a little while since I posted, and while a few super fun things went on this past weekend I just wanted a bit of downtime too. On last Friday night we went out for a few drinks and dancing at the Beauty Bar which was very fun. They had a great DJ playing old school, but totally good danceable music.

The main real reason I didn’t post was because on Saturday I went to this festival and I was waiting on some pics from a friend to post with my description, but I don’t have any pics yet, so I’ll just tell you what happened. Firstly I just think I should mention that at 8:30am Saturday morning I got up and ran probably 9km. This was the second weekend in a row that I did that, and while it was great, its pretty hard to do after a night of drinking and dancing. I was worried that the alcohol that was seeping through my skin was going to make other runners think I was out for an early morning drunken jog. The really nice thing about it was that by the end I was wide awake and totally clean. Definitely one way to get rid of a hangover

But I digress; so after the run I went out to this really awesome street fair. It was the Nihonmachi Street Festival (aka the Japantown street fair). It wasn’t a big fair in terms of some of the ones around San Francisco, but man it was a cool one. I was there on the recommendation of a friend of Erica and mine, Olivia, who has just started this class at the SF Taiko Dojo. The more experienced people at the dojo were giving a Taiko performance and I have to say I was just floored with how amazingly cool it was. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it done except in movies or something, and it was just incredible. If you don’t know Taiko, its this amazing Japanese ceremonial drumming. You might have seen it somewhere, and I really will try to get some pictures up here, but It involves the really big drums and the people in almost martial arts like fashion beating these crazy rhythmic songs out of them. It was a really fantastic show, and if you ever get a chance to see it live, I’d totally recommend it. Just, wow. After that we had teriyaki burgers and walked around to the stalls. I bought a cool t-shirt of what I’m told is the Monkey King. I’m not sure if that’s a real thing or not, but the shirt is cool.

After that, we were all pretty beat so we went home and watched High School Musical which E just got on dvd. Maybe I was expecting too much. I think I remember Laura and the Pop Culture Shock girls really liking it a lot, but I just really wasn’t very impressed. It’s a Disney musical about peer pressure, following you heart and a bunch of other smarmy crap. All I want to say is that Grease did it much better and more realistically. If you like check out my Flixter page for a more complete review.

On Sunday it was another pool party. Out in Mountainview (that’s down south 40 miles or so) this time. It was cool hosted by our friends (in fact my only friends who are married) but our friends who are having their second child in a few weeks. They’re thinking of naming her Zoe, which is a very good name, but maybe I’m bias because of how much I like Killing Zoe. We had another great game of basketball in the pool, and although we were sober this time, it still got a bit violent and I managed to wrench my arm a bit. Its feeling better now, but it was super sore yesterday.

We also got to meet my parents new kittens, who you can see below here. If you haven’t I’d seriously recommend you click on either or both of those kitty pictures, with the increased resolution they are really even cuter. Seriously. I’m totally in love with them already.

Oh man, I was hoping to talk about some other stuff too, like my new most favorite podcast the GenY Retrocast… but that’ll have to wait until next time. I’m about to head out; podcasting tonight. I’ll catch you all on the flipside. Lates.

No comments: