Wednesday, September 27, 2006

climbing and tv


I'm so tired... went climbing with Tara last night again. Of course that was after going to the gym at work and running 5km. I did pretty well though. Incrementally better than my first time. I really like this Mission Cliffs gym. At the moment I'm thinking I'll go once or twice more with Tara and her climbing partner Ben, and then maybe get myself a 10 visit pass to the gym. That would probably be the best thing to do, because I feel bad using up all of Tara's guest passes. Also I think that by after going 10 times I would really know for sure if its something I'd be interested in keeping up with. It's such a fun thing to do though I imagine I will want to do it when I can. If you know anything about graded climbing, I've been obviously starting small, doing 5.5 and 5.6 level climbs. I tried one 5.7 and blasted through it no problem, but I still had pretty fresh hands at the time and powered over a bunch of it. What I'm really enjoying about the climbing though is that it requires strength, technique, and honestly a lot of thought. It's like working on a puzzle sometimes when you're at a tricky part of a wall. You have to really think how to move your body or shift you weight to reach the next hold. Its like a workout for the body, mind, and soul. I think especially as I get technically better I will enjoy it even more.

I watched ABC much touted Six Degrees premiere a day or two ago While I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, I'm still not really sold on it. It comes from JJ Abrams who obviously is a really smart cookie, having created some truly great tv over the past few years. I'm not sure I'd know how to explain it, if asked, so far its basically just a drama about people. I guess its about how everybody affects everybody else, the characters don't even know each other for the most part. Still they affect each other in interesting and unexpected ways, or presumably they will. The pilot was soft at times, and some of the specific characters stories didn't really grab me, but I guess the concept overall could be pretty good. Ultimately it will depend on all the various stories being told, and if I can get interested in the lives of the characters. So I guess I'm a bit mixed on the show at the moment. Give it another episode or two to see.

So far I don't think anything has been axed off of the fall schedule for this new season. Still a few more shows to premiere though. I'm looking forward to The Nine, 30 Rock, and Friday Night Lights. And two others very cool looking ones Traveler, and Day Break are both mid season replacement shows waiting in the wings. Here's the Metacritic listing of what shows have yet to premiere this Fall. Also check out the Fall '06 DeathWatch at Brilliant But Cancelled.

Podcasting tonight. Should be fun, if I can stay awake that long. I'm off for now. Lates.

No comments: