Friday, September 15, 2006

TOV = WTF?!


So a weird sort of thing happened that I don't really know how to explain. On my latest podcast, On Hold...ep026, which I hope you're all listening to ;) Devon and I talked about this thing we've been kicking around for the past year or so. T.O.V., tone of voice. Basically we spent so much time on IM that we developed our own shorthand to an extent. One of the problems though was that we spent a lot of time insulting each other and or just joking around. Of course we never meant to really be mean or rude to each other. I mean I like Devon, and we're friends and all, but I don't feel like I'm really in a place where I can honestly call him an asshole. At least to his face... haha, ok ok just kidding. But sometimes that sort of thing just comes out in an IM, and that is usually the point where emoticons fall short. Tone of voice is totally important when talking with someone, especially if you spend a lot of time being sarcastic with each other. So the conception of tov was pretty organic. Even if it kills the punchline tov can make sure you don't accidentally insult someone for reals.

- Ex -
Devon: Seriously man, are you always this stupid or did you make a special effort today?
Geoff: jeezus murphy...

Geoff: you should sit down and give your mind a rest man.
Devon: Keep talking Geoff, someday you'll say something intelligent.

Geoff: You jackass

Geoff: ...

Geoff: TOV = sarcastic

Now I know what you're thinking. Genius. TOV is a great word that you will begin using immediately. But where will all the credit go? To Devon or I where it belongs? No. because someone decided for some reason to Cancel my submission of the acronym in question to The Urban Dictionary. And I'm really just wondering why someone would do this. If you look on my submission status page you'll see that it was "cancelled before it was reviewed by the editors".... Seriously WTF?! I just can't imagine why someone would do this. Doesn't make sense. Could it have been someone who listens to the podcast. I mean I did put that status link in the show notes. but still... why? I know it wasn't Devon. I suppose it could've been Laura who I made a little fun of with the example, but really that seems extreme even for her A.D.D. addled mind. Honestly, I just don't get it.

It's not like a huge deal or anything. Especially once I realized that UD doesn't have logins and I didn't expose my name/password or anything. And I know I could just resubmit the word, but if I offended someone with it or something I'd like to know why. Totally weird, eh?


No comments: