Friday, March 09, 2007

three times the casting

Three little bits of casting news.

Firstly and most importantly Shia LaBeouf has officially been cast as Indiana Jones' son in the new Indy movie. I know I said I wasn't going to talk about this film until it went into production because I didn't want to jinx it, but wow. It looks like maybe this film is actually really going to get made for real! As for LaBeouf, I actually like him. He's a kid who was brought up in the Disney system, and if I think has some genuine comic timing. I think he is pretty well cast as Spike in the Transformers film, and I'm interested to see him in something a bit more serious. Also, wasn't he just voted the actor of tomorrow???

The lovely Maggie Gyllenhaal has been cast in the role of psychiatrist Rachel Dawes, previously played by Katie Holmes, in The Dark Knight. I knew that Katie had dropped out last year, but I hadn't payed too much attention to it, one: because I figured they were just going to introduce a new female lead a la every other Batman film, and two: I hate Katie Holmes. So really I didn't realize that she had left a big continuing role in a huge movie, I more or less just assumed she was asked to leave. Considering Maggie has been cast as the same character though, I wonder if this is something that Katie will be kicking herself over for a long time. I liked Batman Begins, and with Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Aaron Eckhart playing Two Face I think this could be a really great sequel.

Finally, while its not exactly casting news, Jeff Bridges' role in the upcoming Iron Man movie has been revealed. He will play Obidiah Stane, a wealthy businessman and professional rival to Tony Stark. In the comics he briefly took over Stark's company after some shady business dealing, but after a lot of complicated things happened, Tony got it back. Stane went on to become the villain known as Iron Monger and that's really that. I'd be surprised if they've gone for a second villain in the Iron Man flick; as they're already confirmed to be going with the Mandarin storyline, but I could definitely see Favreau planting the seeds. Setting up characters for a sequel, much like Sam Raimi did with Dr Connors/Lizard in Spider-Man. Only time will tell though. Regardless if we get to see any real Iron Monger action or not, this is still a cool development.

No comments: