Wednesday, November 15, 2006

FNL rings true

I like to talk about Heroes a fair bit on this site, and in real life. It's a great show, with some interesting characters and really cool action. I like the way the story is developing, and I really have a lot of high hopes for the show. I'm also excited to see that its being embraced by the masses, considering how much of a genre piece it is. But all of that said, no matter how much fun I think the show is, its ultimately still a fantasy. It has that comic book appeal that I know very well. I love that, I really do, but there's something to be said for realism too.

The absolute best, 'realistic' show on television right now is Friday Night Lights. It's got a visceral, emotionally powerful, and very true feeling story. The characters just feel so real, so true to life of high school kids that I'm always engrossed by them. The stories are small and believable, and their lives and problems are not easily solved. The stories are grey, confused, and absolutely engaging. The show is really top notch and I want to encourage you, if you haven't seen it, please watch. Personally, I don't know anything about, or really even really like, football; and I'm loving this show. It's got me truly hooked, and I hope you get a chance to check it out.

The latest episode can be watched for free over on NBC.com, and its a great one.

No comments: