Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dragonball Z gets a cast

I'll keep this short because for the most part I'm just not excited about the Draghonball Z film.

While I think there might be something to say for a Dragonball film, the "Z" series never really interested me. For me it's the journey that's really interesting; and with the DBZ series watching Goku spending literally full episodes charging up for a single Kamehameha (sp?) attack, is more than a little frustrating. If you have no idea what I'm saying then don't stress, you probably won't ever care. Just know that the hit anime Dragonball Z is coming to the big screen in a live action film. Beloved by fans I think this movie will either be absolutely fantastic or total crap. My vote for now leans more on the bad side. But hey, let's wait until we start really seeing what they are planning, you never know. It'll probably be fun, and at least I'm not overly invested in the story, or lack thereof ;)

Announced this week Justin Chatwin has scored the lead role of Goku, a young fighter trying to save the universe. Oh, that's the story by the way. Fighter trying to save the universe. It's not really any more complicated than that. If you've ever seen the anime you know, its basically ALL fighting and zero story. Also announced James Marsters (Spike of Buffy fame) has been cast as the big baddie Piccolo. Fanboys prepare yourselves.... Slated to start filming at the end of this month, the movie is scheduled to hit theaters on August 15th next year!That's SO soon I almost think that must be a mistake, but they could always push that date. Maybe they're planning a lot of wire-fu and not as many visual effects though. Who knows.

Anyhow, we'll have to see what becomes of this. Fingers crossed we'll at least get something fun and mindless with good fight scenes. Considering this is coming from director Stephen Chow of Kung Fu Hustle fame, who is producing this time, and director James Wong of the awesome and underrated The One, I'd say we could be in luck. Still, sometimes it helps to keep your expectations a bit low.

-

1 comment:

Ruach said...

Just thought I'd pass on that this is not a Dragonball Z film. It is just Dragonball. Wiki got it wrong.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if4dd78b5e8cb039096286b7cdb7e6562

I've seen a lot of angry posts from fans who just don't want live actors playing the roles. Well it should be interesting to see if James Marsters can be the one to make them change their minds. I know I thought audio books to be an oxymoron untill he narrated a series of Dresden Files books ( Storm Front,Fool Moon,Grave Peril,Summer Knight) for Buzzy Multimedia and turned ME into a fan.