Monday, February 04, 2008

Henson biopic

Frankly I'm not too surprised by today's announcement that a Jim Henson biopic is in the works. Empire Film Group has announced a $30 million picture scheduled to lens at the end of the summer. They hope to attract a top-tier director, such as Penny Marshall, to helm the film. And I've little doubt they will succeed.

Henson is as we all know, one of the greatest entertainers of the last century. The Muppets inspired and touched so many people I can bet you that this will be a fantastic film. Epic, inspirational, and probably a tearjerker. In fact if played right, it could be almost guaranteed an Oscar worthy film.

I'll tell you a little story, if you'll indulge me, of my personal experience of the power of the Muppets. So this was back when I lived in Vancouver and was working as a PA in the film industry. I worked for maybe three days on A Very Merry Muppet Christmas. And although I spent most of that time sweeping up fake snow for a scene with Miss Piggy and David Arquette, I did get a brief chance to meet the legend himself, Kermit the Frog.

It was probably about 6pm one night, and just starting to get dark. We were filming in a building in the West End, which is a very nice family and gay area of Vancouver. Some of the neighborhood parents had found out what the film was; and had brought their kids out in the hopes of catching a glimpse of one of the muppets. Some of these families had waited on the sidewalk for literally two hours hoping to see something, and I guess the stars noticed because sure enough, on the way over to set Brian Henson, and Kermit stopped by the gathered crowd to chat for a while.

I don't know how to describe the situation without sounding cheesy, so bear with me, but watching Kermit interact with the kids was nothing short of magical. Honestly it was just so amazing to see these kids absolutely light up at the sight and sound of the frog. It didn't matter in the slightest that there was a puppeteer standing right beside him, and speaking in Kermit's voice; as soon as Kermit started talking he was totally alive and you just could not take your eyes off him. It made me smile, heck it still does, and took me right back to that feeling of being a kid, loving everything about the muppets. Their power is undeniable to this day; and because it I was old enough to appreciate it, this memory is something I will cherish forever.

I'm actually surprised it's taken so long for someone to get a Henson movie off the ground. I look forward to being swept away by the story of a great man's life.
-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay so I googled "adventures in a strange land" and "knight rider" and this is what I got... so this is where I'll post.

Just saw the preview for Knight Rider. Was not too impressed. Though maybe that's the curse of all pilots. Poor production values and really really bland scripting. Add to that just silliness, MK's menage, and the FBI agent's shower and lesbian scene and well you just get plain douche-ness.

Well those are my three cents at least.

B. out.