Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wild Things clip

While still a ways off, having been pushed back to a 2009 release, Where the Wild Things Are is definitely a film that a lot of people will be interested in. Not just because the children's story is so revered, but also thanks to Spike Jonze's directorial involvement.

Apparently this is a leaked early clip, that has had some CG work done on it, but is not complete yet. Check it out.



It's got potential definitely, but I'm not sold on this clip really being there yet. That said, I love the idea of this film, I love that Jonze is making it, I love the look of where they're going. This film, if played right could be great. More is sure to come. And watch the clip before it disappears.


UPDATE 02/19 - Spike Jonze himself has come out to comment on this leaked footage. According to Comingsoon.net here's what he had to say:

"That was a very early test with the sole purpose of just getting some footage to Ben our vfx (visual effects) supervisor to see if our vfx plan for the faces would work," Jonze said. "The clip doesn't look or feel anything like the movie, the Wild Thing suit is a very early cringy prototype, and the boy is a friend of ours Griffin who we had used in a Yeah Yeah Yeahs video we shot a few weeks before. We love him, but he is not in the actually film...Oh and that is not a wolf suit, its a lamb suit we bought on the internet."

Well, I suppose that answers a few questions. It also makes me feel much better about the clip. I just hope they give us something real soon. I really want this to be another amazing film from Jonze.
-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was just plum strange. Is 'plum' the right word? Should I be using 'plumb'? Anyway, I digress. The clip was strange. If I had my guess, it's not even really that, really more of an opinion... I think that clip looks more like a vignette. It really doesn't seem like it would belong to a bigger picture narrative. And somehow the look is just very different than I expected. What's the movie going to be like? Is it really just going to be a 90 minute children's story? Or are they going to flesh out a "Dark Crystal" style adventure?

Just a couple of thoughts.

BvB