Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Akira news: there's no use in hiding...

A while ago I mentioned that a live action Akira film was in the works, well a flurry of news has come down the pipeline about the film today, and I have to say I am really getting interested in the film. Or should I say two films. Variety reports that Warner Bros is fastracking the first of two planned films based on the popular manga for a summer 2009 release. The first film will cover the first three of the six total large volumes of the manga. Apparently in these post strike days, Warner's is eager to push through a high profile action film for the likely big budget wasteland next summer will be at the box office. They actually had let their rights lapse on the property, only to realize what had slipped through their fingers and snap them back up in a seven figure bidding war.

But that's not all the news, because Akira just got even higher profile. The Hollywood Reporter mentions that Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way production company will be co-producing the films. And Ain't it Cool News scoops the rumor that Leo himself will be stepping into the lead role of Kaneda! Then they follow that up with the more solid info that soon to be G.I. Joe star Joseph Gordon Levitt will costar as Tetsuo.

This is great news. I can definitely see Leo stepping into the lead role. Kaneda is a great character, and Leo would really serve it well. Of course I think Joseph Gordon Levitt is great as well. And if you've seen the animated Akira film, you know what a meaty role Tetsuo is.

Since the announcement of Toby Maguire stepping into Robotech, and now this, it seems like maybe a trend is starting. I sure hope it continues, I'm fine with stealing ideas from classic anime and cartoons. Maybe they can do Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll next. Or something bigger like Escaflowne. Although I suspect something like Starblazers is probably more likely... Still, this is only good news. Akira is a great property, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it come to life on the big screen.
-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's really getting much bigger name treatment than I'd've thought. Leo and That 3rd Rock kid... sorry man... but I'll never remember which order your initials go in. I always want to say JLH (Jessica Love Hewit)...
can't wait to hear more.
BvB