Wednesday, January 23, 2008

so long Heath Ledger

Like pretty much everyone I was shocked and honestly saddened by the news yesterday about Heath Ledger's untimely death. It's so sad to see this happen to a really talented young actor in the prime of his career and life. I don't wan to say too much or anything; others have already eulogized him very well. I just wanted to express how much I enjoyed so much of his work. He seemed like a really grounded guy, despite what TMZ has been implicitly speculating about suicide and pills. The jury's still out on that, but I sure hope its not the case. In my, and I'm sure a lot of other people's eyes Heath had a lot to live for. Sigh, ok, I'm not going to talk about that. The important and tragic thing is that he's gone and will be definitely missed.

I love a lot of his films, but the one that I really enjoy that sticks out in my mind has to be The Order. I know it has some problems, but I just really really dig it, and I was just waiting on the day when Ledger became a big enough star to jump on for a sequel. But he never got the chance... I recommend you go check out The Order; its kind of like a lot of other religious/action/horror/mystery films (think Stigmata, Bless the Child, End of Days) but it has some really nice twists that give it a fresh feel; and the ending is just badass. I'm unhappy I'll never get to see a sequel, and more unhappy that Heath wont ever get a chance to step back into The Sin Eater world.

If he had stayed I know we would've gotten some more fantastic performances from him. Brokeback was great, but I think he could've honestly reached even more heights. Sorry Heath, you'll really be missed.

AICN is reporting that all Heath's post production as the Joker on The Dark Knight has been completed, so we'll get one more totally intact film from the man, however his follow up. Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is another story though. I'm sure we'll find out what the plan on that film is in the coming days and weeks.

For now, I think we should just remember what a great talent we've lost.
-

No comments: