Sunday, July 23, 2006

Trek




J.J. Abrams talked about his new Star Trek film. Read the Variety article HERE.

He's planning on doing the whole MI:III treatment to it. Is this a good idea or a horrible one?
And who could honestly pull off a young Kirk???

My take. Yes its a good idea although I would've been fine to see the franchise take a breather for a few years, I understand why the money grubbing Hollywood types won't ever let that happen. And Abrams is a good choice to shake things up. The film, or potentially series of films, will focus on a young Kirk, Spock, and McCoy at Starfleeet. I think they should go for total unknowns for the roles. Anyone else have thoughts?

3 comments:

Laura said...

i agree about the unknowns, but i heard abrams wants matt damon to play young kirk and it's listed on imdb as announced. i like matt damon, but i can't imagine anyone living up to the phenomenon that is william shatner's captain kirk.

Geoff said...

Thats crazy talk. Damon! hmmm...
I hadn't heard that. And frankly I don't believe it. For how good Damon can be (The Talented Mr Ripley) I still don't see him as Kirk. Also he's too old. If these guys are supposed to be in Starfleet, we're talking what like early 20s at the latest. I say go with someone younger who can fall into a series of films. IMDB is also garbage sometimes. I mean it's great, but it's also crap. And the message boards piss me off to no end. I know that this info DEFINITELY was not announced. It would be all over the web if it was; especially at startrek.com

Frankly I'd rather see totally new characters, a starfleet film at that same time period would be cool, but why not just have new people? That might be better if you asked me. But... we'll just have to wait and see.

oh and BTW Abrams has apparently NOT confirmed that he is directing. He is only confirmed to produce and write, although it looks pretty sure that he will direct.

Laura said...

word. i just thought the rumor was too ridiculous not to mention. btw flies are the devil incarnate.