Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Last Airbender moves along

According to AICN it looks like Shyamalan's Avatar: The Last Airbender film is finally getting off the ground, with the slightly altered (in lieu of James Cameron's film I'm sure) title of simply The Last Airbender. The studio has announced a release date, of Friday, June 2nd 2010... the day we reclaim our Independence.

The film itself is obviously based on the beloved Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender, and follows young Aang. He is the reincarnated spirit of the great and powerful avatar. The one who will bring balance to the force and unite the warring tribes of the world. Aang is , as should be obvious, an airbender and can manipulate the air around him. Aided by his friends Katara, a water bender, her brother Sokka, and Aang's flying bison Appa, they three teenagers try to master their powers and resolve the conflict raging between the warring Fire Nation and the rest of the earth.

Its really a fascinating story, and the cartoon is definitely worth checking out. I am only partway through it myself as I keep getting distracted, but I'm really enjoying it.

So now that we've got a firm-ish release date, I think we can all start expecting to see more on this film soon. I suspect the story, which has yet to be finished as a cartoon, will be told in at least two films, although it'll probably be set for four like the toon. Still should be an interesting ride. Why not go watch the first episode of the cartoon and let me know what you think. Its pretty cool stuff :)
-

No comments: