Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Death Ship: the movie!

ok, actually its not really called that, but damn. That is a fine name for a film if ever I saw one. Actually, there is a new film in the works to be called Countdown, which is to be a big screen adaptation of an old Twilight Zone episode called Death Ship.

I can't say I remember the episode myself but it was written by Richard Matheson, who also wrote the original book I Am Legend, so I'll say that's a pretty decent pedigree. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the story itself revolves "a group of astronauts who land on a planet only to find a crashed spaceship and corpses that eerily resemble their own. They then must piece together where they are and whether they might in fact already be dead. " DA DA DUMMMM...

I know, that's a very Twilight Zone kind of story. Just awesome, and creepy, and kind of sci fi all rolled together. That's definitely my kind of story alright. I really loved that old show. I know Outer Limits had a bit more sci fi to it, but Twilight Zone was more consistently well written, at least for most of the series.

When I was in high school, I actually adapted a Twilight Zone episode into a stage play. It was based on the episode called Five Characters in Search of an Exit. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and I think it turned out pretty well. Although, transcribing the episode, and then editing it into what I needed was a bitch at the time. At least I got a good mark in Drama class for it... I suppose this anecdote doesn't have too much to do with Death Ship and the upcoming film Countdown, but I am interested to see how the film comes together, sounds like a cool story. And space madness is always something that can be exploited well.

Watch the original episode (in sections) right on your beloved Youtubes. Later.
-

No comments: