Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Legion of Superheroes is over!

Just put that headline in the most evil supervillain voice you can imagine... and you'll get the picture. Ok, actually this is really rather sad news. The excellent Saturday morning cartoon Legion of Superheroes is ending its run after only 2 short years on the air and 25 episodes. As a fan I have to sad I am very bummed out.

The Legion, in case you don't know are a team of young superheroes in the 31st century who fight great sci fi types of villains, often with awesome tech powers. The Legion itself is huge, spanning the galaxy and featuring many many heroes all with different powers. In the same way that say, the Green Lantern Corps protect space in our century, the Legion does what the traditional Science Police cannot.

The cartoon has been for the most part excellent, and easily lives up to DC signature quality in their animated fare. What bugs me is that its ending at all. It seems like Warners pulls the plug on all of their animated superhero shows just when they are getting great. Look at Justice League Unlimited, The Batman, and even the oft maligned Teen Titans (I think we can all live without more Krypto the Superdog episodes). It's really annoying to the fans. And while I'm happy they are planning to continue the superhero tradition with the long awaited Batman: Brave and the Bold rumored to be finally coming to the small screen, I can't help but be upset with their callous treatment of the shows I really love.

There are two more episodes of the series to air yet. The final one entitled Dark Victory will probably deal with the villain of the season Imperiex, and as fate would have it, is listed as a "part 1"... yep, cliffhanger season / series finale. Dammit. This sucks.

UPDATE 03/31 - well after looking at my DVR listing for upcoming shows to record it seems that yes there definitely is a part 2 for the final story, entitled Dark Victory, which explores Brainiacs turn to evil. Damn that Imperiex; always causing trouble. Thank goodness we'll get at least some sort of resolution. But really, this show is just great. It sucks that it's ending :(
-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this sucks. I must admit that I only watched the first season of this show, but it was pretty good. I do admit that JLU ended before its time, but at least the last episode was a proper last episode. I can also say the same thing about Teen Titans...well, kinda. Anyway, I'm not sure if Justice League [Unlimited] is my favorite cartoon of all time, but it's definitely up there.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this sucks. I must admit that I only watched the first season of this show, but it was pretty good. I do admit that JLU ended before its time, but at least the last episode was a proper last episode. I can also say the same thing about Teen Titans...well, kinda. Anyway, I'm not sure if Justice League [Unlimited] is my favorite cartoon of all time, but it's definitely up there.

Wire Lass said...

I can't believe it! The Legion was the only Saturday morning cartoon I enjoy watching! couldn't they at least sell it to a different company to keep it going or something? I'm just really dissapointed in DC... I just wish the rest of the episodes would hurry up and finish coming out on dvd so I can at least have all the episodes. (I feel like crying)