Sunday, March 16, 2008

Heavy Metal again

Heavy Metal, the once popular erotic and violent sci fi, fantasy magazine that inspired two movies, looks set to spawn again. The ever-awesome director David Fincher, has teamed up with Kevin Eastman (creator of the Ninja Turtles) who now owns the publication, and Tim Miller, whose animation house Blur Studios will handle the film. The trio will each direct a segment of what is conceived as an eight or nine part interwoven film. The other directors will be announced soon, but word is we can expect the same trademark adult themed gruesome erotica as the past films.

I was a fan of the first film. I think most people were. I liked it because I saw when I was definitely too young ;) But the 2000 sequel felt somewhat lackluster to me. I get that the film could be something great, I'm just skeptical that it will be. That said I think Fincher is fabulous and am definitely interested to see what he does in the realm of fucked up animation. I just hope we don't end up with shock for the sake of shock, you know?

As for the storytelling, I sure hope they get a decent script. A decent single script. Because while I love short stories, both of the previous Heavy Metal flicks were really loose on even the thematic connections. Other than the great artwork of the magazine, there were definitely some great stories there. I know that I personally first discovered counter culture writer Harlan Ellison in the pages of that magazine. And I think we need a strong voice like his to anchor this new film. I hope it comes together. We'll have to wait and see where this goes I suppose. Like I said, it could be great...
-

No comments: