Friday, May 23, 2008

There can be only one... again

In even more what's old is new news, Summit Entertainment has acquired the rights to the 80s sci fi classic Highlander. The Hollywood Reporter says that the movie, being written by two of the Iron Man scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, will "not just be a remake but will incorporate more backstory elements and prequel aspects that will be fleshed out to expand the story line in a way that is inventive yet faithful to the original story." Also it will be more than just action, instead it will deal with the romantic issues of "an immortal falling in love with a woman and knowing she's going to grow old and die in your arms."

For someone like me who is honestly a fan of the franchise, warts and all, I am VERY wary of this. I like the original movie, Endgame, but it's the live action tv series that really sucked me in. The character of Duncan McLeod is really well explored. The mythology was expanded, and I felt like it had a satisfying culmination. To me this isn't a movie that needs to be remade. Why not just tell a new story in the same universe? I know they say it'll incorporate itself into the backstory that we know, but like Highander II: The Quickening, and Highlander III, or the Highlander animated series, can we really presume that it won't totally screw around with the canon? Cause I bet you it will. That's part of the problem of a premise where 'there can be only one' you run out of bad guys...

We'll see how this develops and go from there. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on this.
-

No comments: