Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Red Star movie

Well I'm not exactly sure how this cool sounding project passed me by unaware, but maybe it has something to do with my unfamiliarity with the source material. Acclaimed Image comic The Red Star is coming to the big screen, care of Universal Studios and Timur Bekmambetov.

Timor who just finished directing the rather unoriginal Wanted, has his sights set to the stars in this sci-fi / fantasy takes place in a mythic Soviet future. According to THR ""Red Star" is an epic war saga set in a reimagined Soviet Union where militarized sorcery and monolithic technology live side by side." According to wikipedia the first storyline in the spare few miniseries in the universe deals with a historic battle between the Red Army and the Al'Istaan (who I think are aliens...). I'll tell you I've honestly been reading about this project for a few hours today, and I just can't exactly wrap my head around it. It sounds complex but really just fascinating, in the Final Fantasy III kind of way, by mixing sci-fi technology with the occult. I'm just not sure if its too complicated, or if its maybe one of those stories that as soon as you saw it, you'd understand perfectly.

Comics2Film posted Timor's thoughts on the film quoting him as saying of The Red Star, "It's my dream project. It's something between 'Star Wars' and 'Dr. Zhivago'." Not much else is known. Except the script by Matthew Sand, who is currently working on Ninja Assassin for the Wachowski bros, is behind the adaptation; and AICN has some pretty scathing remarks on it. Their accusations of derivation aside though, the concept is something we haven't really seen before. An alternate history, science fiction ghost story. That's something I think I can get behind. Besides look at this artwork from the comic, that just looks cool.

You can learn more about The Red Star, from the official website... But even that's a bit confusing. This project might take a while to come to the screen, with Timor committed to Tim Burton's 9, The Knights Templar, and now apparently Wanted 2. We'll see what becomes of The Red Star as we move forward, but I know so far I'm definitely game.
-

No comments: